Thursday, November 8, 2018

Genre Research: Coming of Age

I decided to research about a genre I hold very close to my heart: Coming of age. No genre of film creates a personal connection with the audience as well as a good coming of age film does.

What made me gain even more interest in Coming of Age films and made me appreciate them more was this video

Coming of age is defined as: a genre of literature and film that focuses on the growth of a protagonist from youth to adulthood. Coming-of-age stories tend to emphasize dialogue or internal monologue over action, and are often set in the past.

In terms of the target audience, it may vary. However, in general, Coming of age stories are based on teenagers growing up into adulthood, due to the fact that this stage (being very important in life) is recognized as the one where an individual is going through the process of finding itself.

Conventions of a coming of age film:
  • Story relating to growth of a person
  • Ordinary setting that can be adaptable to tone of the film
  • Everyday situations
  • Could be sentimental at some point
  • Life lesson is taught
  • Filmed with simple techniques; no flashy cinematography
  • Personal approach
  • Involve the past 
  • Simple plot, not difficult to understand
  • usually promoted in a non-flashy way 
Film examples:

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's been a journey

My eyes are dry my back hurts i am going crazy and I feel like I've got a sunburn for sitting in the computer for five hours straight...