Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Applying a groupie's life lessons into my creation

So we got schooled! This ~super~ resourceful article gave me a general idea of the whole groupie thing. This is what I put together.

The plot:
  • It would be interesting to set the film in the late 80s, where rock was the prevalent genre, but at the same time, the main frustration with the main character would be the fact that there is no such thing as being a groupie anymore (almost)
  • The film would have themes of: sexuality, coming of age, the realities of rock bands in the music industry, sexism
The characters:
  • Maia: the main character. Wants to be a modern day groupie when turning eighteen. Her character is somewhat naive, but aspires to be an empowered woman in the rock industry. 
  • Theo: Maia's best friend. He's a boy. He's not gay, just in case you were wondering. He's a hardcore fan of modern rap music, but still supports Maia in her questionable decisions.
------

This is the idea I had for the opening: (can be subject to change)
It's the night of Maia's birthday and Theo takes her to a 18+ venue where a band will be playing.

It will (roughly) consist of her:
  • Getting ready in her room
  • Being ringed by Theo
  • Leaving the house
  • Entering the venue
  • And then the title of the movie is shown
Through this opening I mostly aim to introduce her character and strong personality, rather than the actual story/plot itself. To do this I will include symbols and props such as:
  • posters
  • guitars
  • a messy room in general
  • a consistent color scheme
  • her looking at the mirror and lip syncing (I have to do my best to not make it look awkward or cheesy like that opening scene from Camp Rock) (Yikes)
Note: The intro is only two minutes!! So it might not be enough time to get to the part where they enter the venue. I'll have to evaluate this when I'm done planning the storyboard, which will be discussed in the next few posts!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment

It's been a journey

My eyes are dry my back hurts i am going crazy and I feel like I've got a sunburn for sitting in the computer for five hours straight...