Monday, March 18, 2019

CCR: Question 1

So I'll start answering some questions on the CCR, just so I have my ideas clear for when it's my time to do it. Here's question numero uno:

How does your product use or challenge conventions and how does it represent social groups or issues?

So my film is classified as a coming of age. I did a blog post on the conventions way back. These are the conventions I included:

  • Story relating to growth of a person
  • Ordinary setting that can be adaptable to tone of the film
  • Everyday situations
  • Could be sentimental at some point
  • Life lesson is taught
  • Filmed with simple techniques; no flashy cinematography
  • Personal approach
  • Involve the past
  • Simple plot, not difficult to understand
  • usually promoted in a non-flashy way
*I divided this question into four sections to make sure I would answer each aspect

Use conventions:
My film would basically fit every one of these aspects. It consists of a girl who just turned 18, and she aspires to be a groupie. The main character in the film, would learn a life lesson involving themes of sexuality, the music industry, and the way women are perceived in the world of groupies. No special or flashy ways of filming and editing would be used. As it is a film that takes place in the 90s, the shots would resemble old photographs, or still images, with very little camera movement and structured composition. The plot would obviously be simple: she wants to be a groupie and "complications" occur. It isn't anything too twisted or difficult to understand, like a sci-fi or thriller film. Just like any film that involves any kind of rock music, my film would have the constant theme of music, and visuals that go with it, like characters singing along and scenes of live concerts.

Challenge conventions:
The way that my film would challenge conventions would be the fact that there is no glamorized portrayal of what being a groupie is like. Throughout the film, Maia would come to understand that the idea she has of what being a groupie is like, is completely different to the reality of a groupie's life. Coming of age films often have to do with family issues. In my film I would mostly focus on her relationship with the music industry. It would be her against the world of rock music and bands, rather than family issues and such.

Representation of social groups:
Now let's talk representation. So as my film takes place in the past, I had to do research on what life was like. And of course, the whole groupie thing. The only social group I will be representing in the intro, would be an angsty teen in the 90s. A good example? Kat from 10 Things I Hate About You, or Debra from Empire Records. Maia, the main character would represent girls in the 90s who only listened to bands and did nothing else besides worshiping them. Up to the point where they wanted to get involved with them sexually. When it comes to the entire film, the dominating social group would be people from the music industry in the 90s, when grunge rock was the most prevalent genre, but R&B was on the rise as well. Both sides of these people would be represented: the glorified version where they are inspired 24/7, make excellent music and have good relationships and live shows, while also showing their messed up side. We all know what I mean by this.

Representation of issues:
The main issue that the main character would encounter in the film, would have to do with facing the reality of a groupie, as stated before. She only sees the wow factors of what groupies do: sleep with the band and tour with them. For free. What she doesn't know, is that the music industry is rampantly sexist, and these artists of course, experience tough difficulties throughout their careers. I've personally seen a few of my favorite bands live, and seeing them onstage is a breathtaking feeling; they all look extremely talented and motivated to perform, putting on a phenomenal show, everyone singing along to every single verse of a song, screaming, shouting, and praising their idols. The truth is, while off-stage, these people are real human beings, and the pressure of their careers can really get to them. We've seen all of the legends die in tragic situations. We've seen many of them turn into drugs, them turning their life around for the worst. We've seen them breaking up forever, while claiming they're "only taking a break". As I read on one of the articles while researching, groupies' experiences of getting involved with band members, can be great, and you have a stronger attachment to someone you truly admire. But at the same time, these women could be seen as nothing more than coping mechanisms, or sex toys, which was a big issue back then and is still an issue nowadays, despite the global growth of feminism in the media. If the film was set now, I feel like normally the women in the film would have much more power. As feminism wasn't prevalent in the 90s as it is now, I would like to challenge the role of women. Maia would at first be naive when it comes to this unknown world, but participating in it would open her mind and make her a stronger woman, learning how to deal with a sexist industry and toxic masculinity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's been a journey

My eyes are dry my back hurts i am going crazy and I feel like I've got a sunburn for sitting in the computer for five hours straight...