Friday, March 8, 2019

Shotlists and storyboards

Guess who has a cold for the second time in the span of two months!!!! I had to stay home today which sucked, but I took this day off to design the storyboard. Here's the first draft of what the structure will be:


I haven't decided if the title will be shown in the establishing shot or at the end of the intro. It all depends on how I will sync the song that I have yet to choose. I was taking some inspiration from a film I really like called Empire Records. I was just watching and rewatching the opening, and I liked how the character was introduced, and the title sequence was in sync with the music which was so pleasing to see. I also took inspiration from this film because it is based on the 90s, when the grunge rock era was at its peak. 

This is the shotlist: (kinda sorta)
  1. (Insert company name here) presents
  2. A film by Sophie Diebold
  3. BARELY LEGAL
  4. Close up shots of band posters
  5. Close up shot of electric guitar next to amp
  6. Shot of box of cigarettes hanging off a table
  7. Pan up midshot of back of subject undressing (only from shoulders up)
  8. Pile of clothes where t-shirt lands
  9. Front of subject putting her shirt on
  10. Face of the subject is introduced as she is looking at herself in the mirror
  11. Multiple shots of subject talking to herself: practicing what she would say to her band members (multiple cuts of her showing frustration)
  12. phone rings with notifications: "hurry" "im outside" "the band plays at 8:30"
  13. low angle shot of subject checking her phone
  14. subject curses because she realizes she's late while dropping phone on table
  15. grabs shoes with hands
  16. subject turns off record
  17. subject runs off
  18. shot of door closing
  19. shot of subject going back into her room and grabbing the cigarettes of her nightstand
  20. door shuts
So in the last post, I said that the intro would consist of her getting ready, driving to the venue, and getting to the venue, but while my fingers were flying across the keyboard while typing the shot list,  I realized that the intro would be just fine in one location. Also my main goal was to introduce the character and her personality, which can be done perfectly in just two minutes or less of getting ready. 

While making this storyboard, I realized I don't know how to draw at all, specifically hands, or people trying to reach onto things. I got so excited I drew everything kind of half-a**ed. But I did it!! somehow!! Here it is:

*The weird wavy scribbles represent names of actors, etc.








I scanned it and the images didn't come out very clear, but if you open the image they are a bit clearer! 

I feel like I finally have everything under control, after so many days of doubts and dilemmas. 

The next few posts will be about music liscensing, prop gathering, and all that jazz.



No comments:

Post a Comment

It's been a journey

My eyes are dry my back hurts i am going crazy and I feel like I've got a sunburn for sitting in the computer for five hours straight...